Holiday let insurance that protects you,  your property and your guests

Holiday let insurance that protects you, your property and your guests

Back to Owner advice

When operating a holiday let, you need the right insurance policy in place to protect it. Holiday let insurance covers your property against things like theft, fire or weather damage, as well as protecting you and any holidaymakers when you rent it out with that all-important liability cover.*

Insurance 2

We’d like to use our cottage for our own holidays, and for friends and family. Would this be covered under a holiday home insurance policy?

Your holiday home needs to be available to paying guests for the majority of time throughout the year (the amount of time may depend on your individual policy). What this means is that you, or your family and friends, will be fine to use your cottage as long as it remains available to paying guests for the required period in any given year.

If something goes wrong, does the Holiday Home Insurance policy cover loss of rental income?

Insurance is there to help you through tough times, and we know that if something were to happen to your holiday home you not only face the potential bill to fix the issue, but also the cost of the rental income you would have otherwise gained whilst you wait for it to be repaired. For this reason, Boshers will automatically cover cottage owners for up to two years’ loss of rental income should your property become unavailable as the result of an insured event such as storm damage or fire.

What happens if a guest accidentally breaks something, or even steals items from our cottage?

It’s an old cliché, but accidents do happen. If you have hundreds of guests enjoying your holiday home each year, there is a small chance that some items in your cottage may get damaged. The good news is that this would be covered under the accidental damage section of your policy, subject to an excess. Cover for theft by guests is also automatically included, although we, of course, hope you won’t need it!


I employ a cleaner and a few others on a part-time basis; would our holiday home insurance policy cover us for this?

If you employ staff, even if on a part-time basis, it is a legal requirement to have Employers Liability Insurance. This is covered under our own holiday home policy as standard. You will be issued a certificate upon taking your insurance out. Remember that you need to retain this with your records.

Do I have to regularly inspect the holiday home?

A requirement of Boshers specialist insurance cover is that you or a person responsible to you will need to inspect the property on a regular basis. Regular inspections are also good practise from a customer service perspective ensuring your cottage is kept in tip-top condition for those happy guests.

My holiday let is an annexe of my main property, can I cover it?

You certainly can, as long as any adjoining door between your home and holiday letting annexe is kept locked. Combining home insurance and holiday let insurance cover from the same insurer will avoid conflicts and gaps in coverage.

* This article only gives a brief overview of insuring your holiday home. For more information on insurance for your holiday letting property, contact the Boshers qualified team for advice.  This article was supplied by Boshers Holiday Home Insurance and The Travel Chapter cannot accept any liability for the content.

To get your free comprehensive owner's guide or to talk to one of our local experts